Coriander Rubbed Halibut w/Warm Tomatillo Vinaigrette, Red Chili Rice & Grilled Pineapple
By Chef Al Levinsohn
For the halibut
- 4 each – 7 oz Alaskan Halibut Filet cut 1-inch thick
- 1 Tablespoon Toasted Ground Coriander Seed
- 1 Teaspoon of Each- Minced Lemon & Lime Zest, & Grated Ginger Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Peeled Lime & Cilantro Leaves for Garnish
- Combine Citrus zest, ginger and coriander to make rub mixture.
- Season each filet with rub mixture, pressing firmly into flesh; season to taste with kosher salt.
- Prepare vinaigrette and set aside.
- Heat oil & sear fish skin side up in a non stick pan until a crust forms, about 3 minutes, turn over and cook until fish is just heated through, medium doneness.
- Pour vinaigrette along side in pan to heat.
- Transfer fish to a warm platter and spoon over with vinaigrette.
Warm Tomatillo Vinaigrette
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Shallots
- 4 Fresh Tomatillo, Husk & Core Removed
- Diced Small 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green Chilies: Roasted, Peeled Seeded, Cut Into Strips
- 2 Roma Tomato Diced Small
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- Minced Fresh Jalapeno
- To Taste Fresh Cilantro
- Chiffanod to Taste
- Kosher Salt to Taste
In a sauce pan heat olive oil over medium high heat, add tomatillo, shallots and garlic. Cook until garlic is lightly browned but not burnt. Add in roasted chilies, tomato and cook until heated through. Add in lime juice, And season to taste with remaining ingredients. Set aside at room temperature until needed.
- 1/4 Cup Onion Diced
- 1/4 Cup Green Chilies Diced
- 1/4 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- New Mexico Dry Red Chilies Seeded and Randomly Crushed to Taste (about 3-4 each)
Heat butter and oil together until butter is melted; add in vegetables and sauté until tender. Add rice and coat with butter mixture and cook over medium heat until lightly toasted. Add Stock and Chili and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered on low heat until rice is tender and stock is absorbed.
- 1 Ea Ripe Pineapple Core on, Quartered
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Jalapeno
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
Procedure: Trim pineapple top and cut in 4 equal wedges leaving top attached. Combine remaining ingredients to make baste. Brush on pineapple
and grill on char broiler or under broiler until heated through and slightly caramelized. Brush with remaining baste prior to serving